Bellwether will pour the crowd-favorite winner from February's Purple Egyptian Barley Project series, an Egyptian-inspired recipe dubbed Bayratan (from the ancient Arabic word for fermented malt beverage). It's brewed with the barley grown locally by Palouse Heritage and malted by Palouse Pint as well as grains of paradise, chamomile, honey and dates.
Souvenir glasses will be available ($9 with a 16-ounce pour or $4 separately, while supplies last) along with loaves baked with the barley from Culture Breads.
Among the day's other events:
– An IPA Day at Twelve String will feature a dozen offerings, including limited releases like barrel-aged Electric Slide imperial, with $1 off pours and growler fills.
– Badass Backyard releases an aromatic, golden Whitewater Snow IPA (5.6 percent alcohol by volume, 68 International Bitterness Units) hopped with Chinook and Mt. Hood for a crisply bitter finish, as well as an Unbreakable Guava and Blueberry Sour collaboration with No-Li (also on tap there). Try to beat the brewer at darts beginning at 4 p.m., with a T-shirt for the winner.
– Orlison is serving a trio of small-batch bakery-themed beers: Boulder Bar (maple bar-inspired Boulder Garden Brown), Hemingway's Hope (key lime Vienna pale ale) and Creamighty (cookies and cream stout on nitro).
– A Citrus IPA with blood orange and grapefruit is the day's beer release at Iron Goat at 4, with an accompanying chorizo/lentil food special.
– Hopped Up taps a malty, multilayered dark sour (6, 25).
– Post Falls Brewing is pouring its Stoney MacBadger double IPA collaboration with Slate Creek (8.4, 70).
– Perry Street is pairing its Kolsch, Citra Dust double IPA and Milk Stout with selected cheese and charcuterie; get $2 off appetizers and $1.50 off pints all day.
– The weekly Wednesday Kill the Keg specialty at River City is East Coast Afternoon IPA infused with mango and pineapple; snag the final pint and win a $10 gift card.
– Black Label has a cornhole tournament with prizes, plus $4 pints starting at 5 p.m.
– A four-course Big Barn beer dinner at the North Side Onion Bar & Grill will include Apricot Wit, Miss Maggie's Lavender IPA, Rusty Red, barrel-aged Black Dog Stout and the Barn Hopping Lemon Drop honey wheat collaboration with Top Frog. Tickets are $40; call (509) 482-6100 for availability.
– Mad Bomber will be featured in a four-course, bacon-themed beer dinner at 6 p.m. at Uva Italian Restaurant in Coeur d'Alene. Tickets are $40, available at the brewery or restaurant.
– A Bale Breaker night at Manito Tap House starting at 6 will include the Fresh Off the Farm IPA brewed for Seattle Beer Week.
– Pilgrim's in Coeur d'Alene presents a free Sockeye tasting starting at 3:30.
– It's Kill the Keg Wednesday at Steady Flow Growler House, with select $3 pints and $9.99 fills.
– Get discount growler fills ($10/$12) at V Twin.