Catching up with more news from the week in local craft beer:
• A new North Spokane nanobrewery has launched a successful Kickstarter campaign.
Humble Abode Brewing got over the hump today with close to $9,400 in contributions and counting, well above its goal of $8,500 with two more days to go. It's finalizing a lease for warehouse space northeast of Francis and Nevada and launching the federal and state licensing processes.
Owner Matt Gilbreath has only been homebrewing for about a year but just finished his 52nd batch, ranging from hazy New England IPAs to a Russian imperial stout. He plans to turn out a wide variety of styles from a one-barrel system and rotate them on six to eight taps in a family-friendly tasting room.
"The name of the brewery kind of says it all," he says. "We’re humble people. We know we can’t do it by ourselves."
• Another new nanobrewery, Mountain Lakes, had planned to open next week downtown at the corner of Riverside and Browne but has pushed that back to April because of scheduling and licensing issues.
• Slate Creek's grand reopening party has been set for March 24, with live music in the parking lot from 6 to 8 and food from the Las Brasas Mexican Grill truck. The Coeur d'Alene brewery, which closed last October, is being revived as a nano by a longtime employee.
• Matt Spann, formerly of Idaho Brewing (Idaho Falls) and Slate Creek, is the new head brewer at Laughing Dog. Spann earned five medals at the Idaho-based North American Beer Awards during his five years of professional brewing, most recently for Slate Creek's Slack Line Saison in 2016. Look for the first in a quarterly series of Year of the Dog releases at the end of the month.
• Trickster's Juice Box IPA has advanced to the Final Four of its bracket in this year's National IPA Championships presented by the Brewing News. It topped the AlphaDankopotamus from California's Hop Dogma Brewing in judging this weekend and next faces the Breaking Bud from another California brewery, Knee Deep. Winners in the competition's three brackets will meet to decide an overall champion.