Welcome to Day One of Spokane (and American) Craft Beer Week! Things again get rolling in style with our On Tap kickoff party tonight at Perry Street Brewing from 5 to 8 p.m.; I'll be there along with the rest of the On Tap crew, so be sure to stop by and say hi.
Like last year, there will be brewery tours and raffles for On Tap and local brewery swag (get a raffle ticket with each pint purchase; must be present to win).
In a new twist, Perry has invited four other local breweries to pour guest beers along with its own offerings. Look for:
• Daft Badger's wildly popular Blood Orange IPA (which it's having trouble keeping on tap).
• River City's Breve Riverkeeper IPA, infused with orange and coffee beans.
• A blended, barrel-aged sour from Young Buck that's part Farmhouse Funk (Belgian golden ale aged on apricots in chardonnay barrels) and part Cab-Savvy (tart saison aged in cabernet sauvignon barrels).
• Waddell's barrel-aged Imperial Alligator Oatmeal Stout, a rare treat that's blended from beer aged in Dry Fly bourbon and wheat whiskey barrels and finished with cocoa nibs and French oak staves.
Also new, and maybe best of all: One dollar from each pint sold will benefit the Spokane Humane Society. (Remember, Perry's patio is always dog-friendly.)
And if all that isn't enough, here's the rest of the schedule for today; keep coming back all week long for a full rundown of each day's happenings.
– Twelve String taps its Rockin' and Rollin' IPK collaboration with Chewelah's Quartzite starting at 3 p.m. It's a slightly tart session IPA hopped with Mosaic, Simcoe and Idaho 7 and fermented with kolsch yeast, an ale yeast that works at cooler temperatures to produce some of the smooth, crisp character of a lager.
– Black Label has a release party for its Passion Fruit Guava Sour collaboration with Iron Goat; get $4 pints starting at 5.
– Steady Flow hosts a Little Spokane pint night from 4 to 6 featuring the fruity, spicy, slightly tart Mi Reina Saison.
– The Flying Goat has a No-Li pint night with $2 off draft beers and $8 wings.
– Get a commemorative Millwood neighborhood glass with a pint purchase for No-Li's LocALE Monday starting at 6, with trivia at 6:30.
– In Coeur d'Alene, Pilgrim's presents a free Grand Teton tasting starting at 3:30.