Catching up with more news from the past week in local craft beer:
• River City has taken home another award from the United States Beer Tasting Championship. An orange-anise version of the winter seasonal Midnight Marmot Imperial Stout won the spice beer category in the Northwest/Pacific region of the competition’s winter 2017 judging.
River City also topped the region’s fruit beers in summer 2016 with a raspberry/oak Marmot, as well as the bock category with its Congratulator. The brewery previously won three regional awards in summer 2015 – for Congratulator, River City Red (amber) and Inconceivable Imperial Pilsner (highly hopped lager) – and one in winter 2015 for Deep Thaw Winter Warmer (strong/old ale).
This year's judging included 480 beers from 133 breweries nationwide. Field trials are conducted in six regions each summer and winter, with category winners advancing to the national championship. The only Northwest beer to win a national medal this time was Pike’s XXXXX Stout.
• Tickets are on sale for this year’s Micros For Mamas, April 22 at Western Aviation at the Felts Field airport. The event, presented by Longhorn BBQ and Waddell’s Brewpub, features local beer and cider, food from area restaurants, live music and silent and live auctions. Tickets are $45 ($400 for table seating for eight people); proceeds benefit Spokane YoungLives, which provides support for teen mothers.
• The Steel Barrel is hosting pFriem Family Brewers for a five-course beer dinner March 29 featuring the Hood River brewery’s Citrus Zest IPA, RyePA, Oatmeal Stout, Flanders Red and Belgian Strong Dark paired with food by Zona Blanca chef Chad White. Tickets are $80; seating is limited to 60 people.
• Finally, the latest from the ever-changing brewery hours front:
– Post Falls Brewing has expanded its hours to daily from noon to 10 p.m.
– The Steel Barrel has added Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. (same hours as Wednesday through Sunday).
– Bennidito’s Brewpub now is closing on Sundays (open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and until 10 on Friday-Saturday).